Presque Isle Poker Paddle
To ALL participants of the 4th annual Presque Isle Poker Paddle... THANK YOU! You are such an enjoyable group to host in support of Presque Isle. A special thanks to our volunteers and partners who made today possible.
Congratulations to today winners and losers!
Best Hand = Straight Flush (2,3,4,5,6 Clubs) | #52| Joseph D.
Worst Hand = Nine High | #30 | Gloria C.
50/50 | $120 | Deb Maj.
Winners. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize.
NOTE: if you did not attend but would still like your t-shirt, you can pick it up in the Gift Shop at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center, 301 Peninsula Drive, any day between 10am and 5pm.
Once again, Thank You for supporting Presque Isle! We hope to see you soon at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center!
Presque Isle Partnership; a non-profit organization supporting the preservation and enhancement of Presque Isle State Park! We rely on your participation and donations to help make Presque Isle the best park it can be!
Sunday, August 18, 2019
Paddlers of all types and skill levels are invited to join us for a day of fun on the waterways of Presque Isle! The 5+ mile poker run takes you through the Presque Isle Lagoons, Horseshoe Pond, Misery Bay and Graveyard Pond to finish where you started! Prize for the Best 5-card poker hand is $300 and the Worst 5-card hand is $150!
Greetings paddling enthusiasts! This information is intended for the 280 pre-registered participants. Please note that due to safety and accountability, we will not be accepting any day-of registrations. The event is SOLD OUT.
Thank you for your upcoming participation in the 4th Annual Presque Isle Poker Paddle this Sunday, August 18 at Presque Isle State Park! This is a rain or shine event but the weather looks good for Sunday! We are looking forward to an awesome day on the water and hope you are, too!
The information below is listed in a carefully chosen sequence to help the check-in and poker run processes run smoothly...
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
NOTE: Due to high water levels, there are few changes we are forced to make to the course. Firstly, CHECK-IN, START & FINISH will all take place at PERRY MONUMENT. Additionally, the low bridge connecting the Marina Bay to the lagoons is impassable. Therefore, kayaks will not be able to venture into Marina Bay or Presque Isle Bay. All participants must turnaround in the lagoons at the checkpoint closest to the low bridge. It’s still a 5+ mile course and like everything else at the Park, WE WILL ADAPT AND MAKE THE BEST OF IT!
- SAFETY IS OUR #1 PRIORITY Although it is not required to wear your life jacket during the boating season we're now in, you are required by law to have one with you. Please always have it easily accessible.
- ARRIVE AT PERRY MONUMENT. Follow the signage and look for the Presque Isle Partnership tent.
- Participants must arrive to the check-in area at PERRY MONUMENT at least 45 minutes prior to their selected launch time. We just need your name. Don’t bother printing out any tickets. Save the trees.
- When you arrive at PERRY MONUMENT, please check-in at the Partnership tent. Then, quickly off-load your boat and any gear into the “kayak corral” . You must unload the "big stuff" as quickly as possible so that other participants can pull in and do the same thing. The area is tight so it's imperative that you move quickly, but safely!
- Once you’ve checked in and your gear is unloaded, have members of your group watch over your stuff while you park your car at Beach 11 which is a mile down the road as you exit RIGHT out of PERRY MONUMENT. All vehicles must park at Beach 11 and ride the shuttle back to the launch area - shuttle is compliments of EMTA… Be sure to thank your driver!
- Remember to bring some cash to purchase your bonus donation card for $5. We’ll also have a 50/50 raffle going on throughout the day! $5 a foot or $10 for three feet! SUPPORT YOUR PARK!
- TIME TO LAUNCH! Direction of travel is totally up to you. We suggest heading into the wind first.
- There will be 5 "card stops" along the way marked clearly with a large 12 ft. flag saying "CHECKPOINT". New this year will be a ROAMING CHECK-POINT in the Lagoons. Keep an eye out for an electric pontoon boat trolling around with a large CHECKPOINT flag on it. As you approach these various CHECKPOINTS, follow these steps:
- Present your score card
- Draw a random poker card
- Allow a volunteer to mark your score card
- Be on your way to the next stop
- NOTE: If you draw the same card more than once, you must draw another card.
- Larger boats will be enjoying the sunny weather throughout day and they can't maneuver as quickly as you so be extra cautious. Be mindful of the fishermen, too. They're also out enjoying the park.
- Again, you will have the opportunity to donate $5 to get a bonus card at the beginning or at the end. Also, once you have completed the paddle, if you dispose of your trash and any you pick up along the way, you will get to draw a free “garbage” card if you desire to better your hand.
- At the finish marker (PERRY MONUMENT), be sure to record your poker hand on the SCOREBOARD before eating and before you hitch a ride back to BEACH 11 where your car is parked. You will have the ability to draw a total of 7 cards throughout the day but you can only use 5 cards to determine your best hand. If you need assistance determining your hand, check with a fellow paddler. $300 will go to the best hand and $150 to the worst! If there is a tie, the winnings can be split if both parties agree or there will be a draw-off for the highest card for best hand / lowest card for the worst hand.
- You can now chow down on some tasty grub provide by J's Mainstreet Icecream and Hotdog Shop. Be sure to dispose of your trash and recycle what you can!
- The same shuttle will then be available to transport you back to your vehicle at Beach 11 to pick up your car. Again, all vehicles must park at Beach 11 and ride the shuttle. The shuttle will be running from 8:00am-2:00pm. If you do not finish by 2:00pm, come to the blue Partnership tent to get a ride in super-fabulous PIP van.
THIS NEXT BIT OF INFO IS ONLY FOR THOSE RENTING KAYAKS. READ CAREFULLY.
- If you are renting a boat, please first check-in at PERRY MONUMENT at least 1 hour prior to your selected launch time.
- Boats will be rented from the Presque Isle Canoe & Boat Livery just down the road towards the Lagoons.
- After you have checked in at PERRY MONUMENT, head to the Presque Isle Canoe & Boat Livery. We have already supplied them with a list of individuals who will be renting single and double kayaks.
- All you will need to do is provide them with your name, driver’s license and a method of payment ($15 for a single kayak; $25 for a double kayak). NOTE that at this time, no more boats will be available for participants at this discounted rate.
- Those renting kayaks can park their cars right at the boat rental.
- Once you are ready to launch (be sure you have your player’s card), you can then start the poker run by heading to the first CHECKPOINT of your choosing.
- Upon completion of the course, you can paddle to Perry Monument to enjoy your meal and then return your kayak to the boat rental OR you can return your kayak to the boat rental and drive to Perry Monument to enjoy your meal!
- And don’t forget to record your poker hand at PERRY MONUMENT at the check-in tent!
KEEP IN MIND THE FOLLOWING:
- Nearly everyone you will encounter at the event is a volunteer donating their time to help us, you, and especially Presque Isle State Park. Please be patient, respectful and kind to them!
- Please do not harass the wildlife. Take pictures from a distance and use your zoom.
- It is not necessary to have a launch permit for this event.
- All participants must abide by Pennsylvania Boating Laws
- Each person must always possess a whistle and PFD in their boat and is strongly encouraged to wear the PFD during the paddle
- No alcohol is permitted on Presque Isle
- Bring plenty of water to STAY HYDRATED!
- Wear good water shoes
- Leave a change of clothes in your car
- Bring your waterproof camera
- Pets are not permitted
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, a hat, and bug spray may come in handy
- Presque Isle is a State Park and all participants must abide by all DCNR & PA Fish and Boat Commission laws which can be found at: www.dcnr.state.pa.us and www.fishandboat.com
Thanks again for helping us achieve our mission to enhance the visitor experience at Presque Isle State Park by developing, funding, and implementing projects and programs on the Park while protecting the natural environment. All the energy of the Partnership is focused on making Presque Isle State Park the best park it can be, to make your experience at Presque Isle the most enjoyable.
-Presque Isle Partnership Staff, Board & Volunteers CLICK TO VIEW YOUR LAUNCH TIME
CLICK TO VIEW COURSE MAP