DESIGN CRITERIA - CLICK HERE
The Presque Isle Partnership is working with Presque Isle State Park and Ignite Erie to enhance the safety of visitors to Presque Isle during the park’s popular summer swim season. This contest and the work that will follow will result in the local design and fabrication of new lifeguard stations for each popular beach at Presque Isle State Park.
The new lifeguard stations will supplement the existing lifeguard chairs used by guards who spend their summer patrolling the park’s busy beaches. These new stations will provide increased safety to both lifeguards and the public by offering better visibility, sun protection, communication, and storage of critical life-saving equipment while improving the aesthetics of USA Today’s Reader Choice ranked #1 Fresh Water Beaches in America.
Students from all regional Colleges and Universities are eligible to participate in the contest. Student finalists can and are encouraged to form teams with students from other universities.
March 26, 2018 – Applications for Participation accepted
April 16, 2018 – Application for Participation deadline
April 24, 2018 – Finalists are notified
May 6, 2018 | 1:00pm - 3:00pm | Room 110 – Finalist Meet-up at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center
- Teams form and begin work on lifeguard station design entries
- Finalists are featured on the Presque Isle Partnership website
June 8, 2018 – Final design proposals due
June 22, 2018 – Designs displayed at Best Summer Night Concert @ Beach 11
June 29, 2018 – Winning design announced. Awards presented
$1000 CASH will be awarded to the winning team.
$50 cash will be awarded to every individual finalist who completes a final contest entry.
Any and all college students in Erie County are eligible to enter. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older to enter.
Students at any of Erie County’s colleges can enter by submitting an application through our online form. The form will request that you submit a PDF document. This document should include:
- 500-words (maximum) arguing why you should be chosen as a finalist. You should explain your experience and design skills. Tell us why you should be chosen. (If possible, please do NOT include your name anywhere in the PDF documents that you submit with your application, so that the judges can blindly score your application.)
- A small selection (2-4) of examples of your related work such as design drawings, rendering, art, etc. This is not your final contest entry. It is a portfolio, a representation of your previous work. If you do not have a portfolio or anything similar prepared, you can draw or design something to show your skill. Remember, this is not your design entry, it is an application to be among the finalists who will design lifeguard station entries for the contest.
Applications will be scored by impartial judges. 15-20 Finalists will be chosen to compete in the contest by submitting a design proposal. Design proposals should seek to meet these criteria: (Link to Design Criteria PDF)
In early May (date TBD), a meet-up will be held at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center for team formation. At this event finalists will be able to form teams of two or more members if they so choose. Detailed instructions will also be provided at this meet-up. Q&A time with administrators will be ample. Attendance is not required, but HIGHLY encouraged.
From then until June 8
|, teams can work on their lifeguard station design entries. Entries should be submitted via an online form by 11:59pm that day. Format details will be provided at the meet-up, and will include a poster. Scoring methods for final designs will be explained. All individuals on teams that submit a design will receive $50.
Printed posters will be on display at the Best Summer Night Concert for public voting. This voting will be considered along with the scoring of judges in the decisions of a winner by June 29
|. The winning team will receive a cash award of $1000 (total), distributed evenly between the team members.
Any questions about this contest should be directed to Contest@discoverpi.com
- By submitting an entry, each Entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and that his or her entry conforms to the entry guidelines and restrictions set forth in these Official Rules (“Entry Requirements”) and that PRESQUE ISLE PARTNERSHIP (“PIP”) may, at its sole discretion, disqualify him or her from the Contest if PIP decides that his or her entry fails to conform to the Entry Requirements or any other provision of these Official Rules. PIP decisions regarding application and interpretation of these Official Rules shall be binding and final.
- Each Entrant into the Contest hereby irrevocably grants, transfers, assigns and conveys to PIP, its successors and assigns, all present and future right, title and interest of every kind and nature whatsoever, including, without limitation, all patents, design patents, copyrights, and all rights incidental, subsidiary, ancillary or allied thereto (including, without limitation, all derivative rights) in and to the entry for unlimited exploitation throughout the universe, in perpetuity, by means of any and all media and devices whether now known or hereafter devised. PIP shall have the right, in its sole discretion and without owing any additional consideration to Entrant, to edit, composite, morph, scan, duplicate, alter, use or otherwise exploit each entry for any purpose which PIP deems necessary or desirable, and each Entrant irrevocably waives any and all so-called moral rights they may have therein. Each Entrant hereby acknowledges that such Entrant does not reserve any rights in or to the entry. If PIP shall desire to secure additional assignments, certificates of engagement for the entry or other documents as PIP may reasonably require in order to perfect ownership of PIP’s rights in and to the entry, then each Entrant agrees to sign the same upon PIP’s request therefor.
- Submission of the entry or any prior or subsequent related entry submission creates no obligation whatsoever on the part of PIP, whether legal, implied or otherwise (whether of confidentiality, compensation, return, use, not use or otherwise).
- Each entry and any related entry submission to PIP are not confidential. PIP will have no confidentiality obligations whatsoever with respect to this or any prior or subsequent submission to PIP. To the extent that any part of this submission or any prior or subsequent submission to PIP is marked as "CONFIDENTIAL," "SECRET," "PROPRIETARY" or with other words to that effect, such notations will have no effect and will create no obligation whatsoever on PIP.
- Each Entrant certifies, to the best of their knowledge, all of the ideas in this and any related submission to PIP are not the property of any others besides the named Entrant, and all the information furnished to PIP is true and correct.
- Each Entrant certifies they are not violating any agreement or understanding with another person or party, including my current or former employer, by providing this information to PIP.