Event Day Important Information
GREETINGS CYCLING & PARK ENTHUSIASTS!
List of Current Registrants
CONGRATULATIONS & WELCOME to the 3rd AnnualPRESQUE ISLE POKER PEDAL happening Saturday, October 6 at Presque Isle State Park! Your registration was received, processed and confirmed. YOU ARE ONE OF MORE THAN 160 ENTRANTS who will participate in the Presque Isle Partnership's annual cycling poker run throughout Pennsylvania's best park!
This is a rain or shine event but we are hopeful that Saturday's weather will be BEAUTIFUL! We are looking forward to an awesome day on the park and a cheerful time at the Millcreek Brewing Company for the after party (4102 W Lake Rd, Erie, PA 16505).
The information below is listed in a carefully chosen sequence to help the check-in and poker run processes run smoothly...
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
WEAR A HELMET. USE CAUTION. BE MINDFULOF OTHER PARK USERS INCLUDING PLANT & WILDLIFE. They're also out enjoying the park.
ARRIVE AT BEACH 1 PAVILION
- Beach 1 is located just beyond the entrance of the park on your left.
- Arrive 20 minutes prior to your pre-selected start time.
- Ample parking is available at Beach 1 lot on Presque Isle where check-in will occur.
- Remember to bring some cash to purchase yourBONUS DONATION CARD FOR $5
- We’ll also have a 50/50 raffle going on throughout the day. Drawing at 2:00pm
WELCOME TO THE POKER PEDAL!
- SAVE A TREE... that means NO NEED to print out a confirmation email, ticket or anything like that.We will have names of all participants.
- CONFIRM YOUR REGISTRATION with event volunteers at the Beach 1 Pavilion and receive your Players Card and T-Shirt.
- *NOTE – those who registered after 10/02 are not guaranteed a t-shirt.
- Get an EXTRA CARD for a $5 donation to better your chances of a stronger poker hand. Bonus donation card can be purchased before or after the poker run, but not at the after-party.
PREPARE YOUR GEAR
- Unload and begin preparing yourself for a 15 mi. scenic tour around the park.
- Give your bicycle the old "ONCE OVER". We will have a standard valve tire pump available if you need air (not for road bike tires).
- Be sure that your brakes are also working properly.
- We will have BASIC TOOLS available to make basic adjustments.
- A bicycle repair station is also located along the multipurpose trail near the Ranger Station.
PREPARE FOR LAUNCH
- We will be giving a brief but important 5 MINUTE ORIENTATION every 15 minutes beginning at 8:50.
- Please give us your FULL ATTENTION for this portion of the event, it’s for your own safely and enjoyment!
THE START / COURSE
- FOLLOW RED ARROWS TO STAY ON COURSE!
- Expect bumps, gravel and slick surfaces throughout the course.
- Come to a complete stop at all Stop Signs.
- WHEN PASSING you MUST CALL OUT "PASSING ON THE LEFT/RIGHT"
- BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS WHEN CROSSING MAIN ROADWAYS
- REMAIN ON MULTI-PURPOSE TRAIL in aCOUNTER-CLOCKWISE direction as you circumnavigate the peninsula.
There will be 5 CARD STOPS along the way MARKED CLEARLY with a large 12 ft. flag saying"CHECKPOINT"
STOP #1 - LEO's LANDING "the feather"
Sponsored by Millcreek Brewing Company
STOP #2 - WATERWORKS GEAR TOWER
Sponsored by Glenwood Beer Distributors
STOP #3 - PERRY MONUMENT
Sponsored by E.C.G.R.A
STOP #4 - PRESQUE ISLE LIGHTHOUSE
Sponsored by Agresti Real Estate
NOTE: due to the Lighthouse being open to the visiting public and running continuous tours, Poker Pedal registration does not include tour of the house or tower. As space allows, you may pay small fee to the Lighthouse to explore the facility and climb the tower.
STOP #5 - WATERWORKS FISHING DOCK
Sponsored by Presque Isle Partnership
FOLLOW THESE STEPS AT EACH CHECKPOINT
- Present your score card to a volunteer.
- Draw a random poker card.
- Allow a volunteer to hole-punch your score card.
- Be on your way to the next stop.
- Continue to each of five separate Card Stops along the course.
- NOTE: If you draw the same card more than once, you must draw another card.
WATER & RESTROOMS
There will not be any water stations set up along the course. However, most drinking fountains and restrooms are still open throughout the park.
- Arrive back at Beach 1 Pavilion where you started.
- Turn in any trash you may have collected along the way for AN EXTRA CARD
- You will have the ability to draw a total of 7 cards throughout the day but you can only use 5 cards to determine your best hand. If you need assistance determining your hand, check with your friends or event volunteers.
- Be sure to record your poker hand on the SCOREBOARD before you leave for the Millcreek Brewing Company (4102 W Lake Rd, Erie, PA 16505)
- $300 will go to the best hand and $150 to the worst!
- If there is a tie, the winnings can be split if both parties agree or there will be a draw-off for the highest card for best hand / lowest card for the worst hand.
- Pack up your gear and head up to Millcreek Brewing Company for admission to the after-party starting 11:30am
- REMEMBER to bring your score card with you to redeem your meal and complimentary Miller Lite!
- Food will be served at the Millcreek Brewing Company from 11:30am-2:00pm
- Please be sure to tip your waiter :)
- Each participant will automatically be entered to win one some cool door prizes!
- We will also be selling 50/50 tickets -- $5 for one foot or $10 for three feet!
- All drawings will be held at the Millcreek Brewing Company at 2:00pm and you do not need to be present to win!
KEEP IN MIND THE FOLLOWING
- Nearly everyone you will encounter at the event is a volunteer donating their time to help us, you, and especially Presque Isle. Please be patient, respectful and kind to them!
- Please do not harass the wildlife. Take pictures from a distance/use your zoom.
- No alcohol is permitted on Presque Isle
- Bring water
- Pets are not permitted
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, a hat, and bug spray may come in handy
- Lastly... HAVE A BLAST and PLAY IT SMART- if you've had too much to drink at the after-party, please find a sober ride home.
Thanks again for helping us achieve our mission to enhance the visitor experience at Presque Isle State Park by developing, funding, and implementing projects and programs on the Park while protecting the natural environment. All the energy of the Partnership is focused on making Presque Isle State Park the best park it can be, to make your experience at Presque Isle the most enjoyable.
-Presque Isle Partnership Staff, Board & Volunteers
For more details on the event, contact event coordinator, Jim Butts, at 814-838-5144 x 102 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org